British Pie Week is here again!Last update: 12.03.17 First posted: 12.03.17 by Hilary in What's Cooking In Tod?
This year marks the 10th anniversary of BPW which began as an advertising campaign
by Jus-Rol. Both their puff (green packet) and shortcrust (blue packet) pastries are vegan,
so here’s a tasty and seasonal veg pie with which to celebrate!
Leek and Mushroom Pie
1 block of Jus-Rol puff pastry
1 medium leek, chopped
6 mushrooms, sliced
2 cloves of garlic,finely chopped
1 onion, chopped
1 tbsp veg oil
Cream Sauce Ingredients:
3 tbsp plain flour
3 tbsp vegan margarine (Pure / Vitalife etc)
3 cups soya or other unsweetened plant milk
Pre-heat oven to 200C
1. Pour oil into a pan and add the leek and onion, stirring well.
2. After 2 minutes add the garlic and mushroom and continue to cook, stirring occasionally.
3. Leave the pan on a low heat to slowly cook through, and start making the sauce.
4. Melt 3 tbsp of margarine in a pan.Take the pan off the heat and add the milk, then whisk in the flour.Return to a low heat and whisk/stir until the sauce thickens.Add a little salt and pepper and I like to add 2 tsps of mustard.Cook for a few minutes to make sure the flour is cooked through.For extra flavour, add some grated vegan cheese.
5.Once the veg are cooked, add the mix to the sauce.Allow to cool while you roll out the pastry.
6. Roll out 2 pieces, 1 slightly larger than the other. Grease your pie tin or glass dish
7.Lie the base with pastry, then pour the sauce mix in to the pie dish and cover with the other piece of pastry. Crimp the edges tightly and brush the lid and edges lightly with soya milk or soya cream, making a few slit in the pastry cover.
8. Bake for around 30-40 minutes.
9. Remove from oven and enjoy piping hot, with some green veg on the side or allow to cool and eat with a nice crispy salad.
Blogs By Category
- Bees (15)
- Business Plate (9)
- busywoman (81)
- Campaign (7)
- Courses and Training (2)
- Edible Poetry (21)
- Events (98)
- Food Inspiring (7)
- For Children (2)
- Growing (77)
- Growing herbs (3)
- History (2)
- HRH Royal blogs (4)
- Incredible Spreadable (30)
- Learning Plate (33)
- Produce (10)
- Random (51)
- Schools (14)
- The Green Route (25)
- The power of small actions (1)
- Tours (70)
- What's Cooking In Tod? (44)
- 22.11.20A circle of KINDNESS
- 15.04.20Terrific Taiwan
- 8.04.20Incredible Matthanee trip to South Korea and Japan
- 8.04.20incredible first time volunteer